Seasons

Data Pack Seasons 1.2.5

Le Codex

Le Codex submitted a new project:

Seasons - A datapack that adds the 4 seasons to vanilla survival, alongside other elements

Seasons for Survival Minecraft
The 4 Seasons:
With inspiration from Don't Starve, the seasons are recreated and will cycle naturally every 20 days (which makes for a 80 days year, custom season length coming soon), each with their own specificity:
  • Autumn/Fall: The most calm season of the four. Nothing special really happens...
Read more about this resource...

Le Codex

Le Codex updated Seasons with a new update entry:

[1.0.1] Tweaks and Fixes

A little change log of things that needed tweaking:
  • Death support was added. Dying and respawning resets your temperature to 20°C an your wetness to 0%.
  • You start a new world at 20°C instead of 0°C. This should also apply to newly joining players on servers.
  • The Winter Strays and Summer Husks can now spawn with armor, whereas previously they could only spawn with hand items.
  • The marker used for the custom block updates (snow layering, flower blooming and disappearing...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Le Codex

Hi, could you please give more info on how to fight the temperature besides being deep underground or near lava / in water.
Sorry for the late reply, certain items and blocks will influence your temperature, but most is an unnoticebale amount or just enough to just cancel the effect. Try to find all the different interactions ;)

Le Codex

[1.1] The HUGE Performance Update

This update improves greatly the performance of my pack, thanks to 2 things:
  • Long strings of /execute tests have been converted to function files, reducing the amount of tests the game has to process each tick.
  • The temperature check for blocks and items now only is updated every second, as to every tick previously. The UI is still updated every .25 seconds.
Other miscellanious changes also come with this update:
  • Changed the temperature change "sensibility" from...

Le Codex

[1.1.1] Bug Fixes

I apologize for the amount of bugs that came with the 1.1 version. Here's a summary of everyhting that got fixed:
  • The temperature is now taken in account correctly.
  • Snow appears and water freeezes again in Winter.
  • Death support is now correctly changed.
Here are a few new things as well:
  • Now, wearing any piece of golden armor reverses the ambient heat effect. It does not diminishes or increases it.
  • A new achievement goal has been added, Situational Irony...

Le Codex

[1.2] The Biome update

As promised, here's finally the update that adds biome interaction. 🎉
All biomes have now two characteristic: temperature and humidity. The classification is based on the Wiki page on Biomes, with a few tweaks.

Temperature categories:
  • Hot: Permanent small temperature increase (smaller than the ambient heat).
  • Cold: Permanent small temperature decrease (smaller than...

Le Codex

[1.2.1] Performance, Fish Rain and Tweaks

A new mechanic was added during Spring, the Fish Rain:
  • Lasts one minute.
  • Has a 0,1% chance to happen when rain starts.
  • The fishes don't drop anything to prevent lag. (I tried to make them deal damage but to no avail)
Tweaks made:
  • Increased the temperature change in biomes (now it counter-acts the ambient heat).
  • Increased the amount of fake snow particles.
  • Decreased the amount of fake snow particles added during a Blizzard.
  • Dying of freezing now...

Le Codex

[1.2.2] A Dark Cold Day Update (Changes to Winter)

A new event was introduced to Winter, the Winter Solstice:
  • Always happen at the middle of Winter, starting at midnight.
  • Makes it lasts for an entire day.
List of changes:
  • Biome temperature is now affected by armor.
  • Ice now spreads over the entirety of water, instead of just the shores.
  • Increased the radius of ice melting outside of Winter.
  • Ice now melts to its normal level oustide of Blizzards.

• Changed the yearLimit score (Summer/Year end)...

Le Codex

[1.2.3] The Community Update

In this update, all new features have been suggested to me by the really cool people on the Datapack Center Discord.
Here they are:
  • Added the Spring Festival, where villagers celebrate with sales the end of Winter. Idea by Boomber.
  • Animals now can become in love naturally during Spring. They can only do that once per Spring. Idea by Cavinator1.
  • Added the Blood Moon, during which mobs become highered for one night. Idea by Linch.
  • Added the End Incursion, where during one...

isuke01

Hello,
How I can survive winter? I have house, with a lot torches - not working, can I create some heat system?
I also have fullyLeather/Iron armor, but it also does not help, im just dying all the time :(, Can I make some winter outfit? I cant find any new recipe for it. :(
Also I tried to setup campfire and stand on it - don't work, actually I think here is strange bug I was line those 5gray hearts but I have died.

Minecraft 1.14.3, with Forge.

Last edited:

Le Codex

Hello,
How I can survive winter? I have house, with a lot torches - not working, can I create some heat system?
I also have fullyLeather/Iron armor, but it also does not help, im just dying all the time :(, Can I make some winter outfit? I cant find any new recipe for it. :(
Also I tried to setup campfire and stand on it - don't work, actually I think here is strange bug I was line those 5gray hearts but I have died.

Minecraft 1.14.3, with Forge.
I'm going to give you a few tips ^^

First, avoid cold biomes. If it can snow in that biome, it's cold, and you will constantly lose temperature there.
Second, torches and campfires do increase your temperature, but not by much, the campfire providing, I think, just enough heat to survive. They also only affect you if you are right next to them, not in a large radius. There's also a lot of other blocks that create heat, like magma blocks, lava, lit furnaces, etc...
Third, being in a house doesn't remove the cold. The only way to completely avoid it without gear is by going deep into the ground, below y=40.

If you want some Winter clothes, you already have them: leather armor isolates you from the ambient heat, with the full set completly isolating you. However, iron armor has the exact opposite effect, doubling the effect of the ambient heat, so stay away from it if you have trouble.
Remember also that items in hand (and left hand) also affect you, so try to get your hand on a lava bucket or a magma block (which balances perfectly the raw ambient cold).

For the bug with the hearts, I have to use the Wither effect to damage you once you are too hot or too cold. If you only have half a heart left, you'll die after about 2 seconds. If however you die before that (at 5 hearts for example, as I understood), could you clarify where and when this happened?

lattitude

I recently downloaded the datapack and added it to my world, and it really improves the general look of my world, but I have 2 suggestions to make it even better:
  1. The temperature should not affect players in creative mode
  2. Send messages into chat to signify events such as change in season.
If these features were added, the datapack would be 10 times better than it already is.

Le Codex

[1.2.4] Mo' Options

A very small update, done quickly after some feedback from lattitude:
  • Temperature and wetness don't affect anymore the player oustide of Survival and Adventure gamemodes.
  • Added an option to enable chat warnings for events and seasons' changes (defaults to false). Reminder: to access the option menu just run /function seasons:options in the chat.

Le Codex

Is it still active? If so, is there any prediction as to when we'll be able to configure events and mechanics?
Hey, sorry for the very late reply '^^
This project is pretty much on hold as I said in the second to last update, although I' M xo siderong coming back to it with the addition of new biomes to the Nether. The next update will probably be the tweaks that were suggested over time before the big new update ^^

Le Codex

[1.2.5] The Conventioning

I'm going back to this project with the 1.16 approaching. I plan to add new interactions with the different biomes that'll be added. For now however, this update will focus on tying loose ends. Again, thank you all for the really great feedback and overall response to this pack ^^

As said, this update will add some convetions for better compatibility:
  • Changed all the objectives for compatibility. The previous scores of temperature and wetness, as well as all other important...

minilem

This is the best implementation of Seasons that I've seen so far. Is there a way to test each effect of each season?

aka. Can I see and test elements of the worst that winter has to offer by using commands or just by playing over time?

Keep up the great work. seriously loving this pack.

noah_grievous

Hey. I was really looking forward to using Seasons in a survival world, but I can't seem to get the datapack working.

I put Seasons.zip within the datapack folder of my worlds, but the datapack just doesn't seem to exist when I get in the game. I don't see any indicators that Seasons is running on my HUD, and when I run /function seasons: options nothing comes up (The space is so that there isn't an emoji). Not only that, but other datapacks seem to work without any problems.

Is there any way you could help me with this, or am I just doomed to never be able to use this datapack?

EDIT:
I was able to find a fix. What I believe the fix to the problem was how I had moved around the file structure, but I didn't do much. Originally, the Season.zip file that is downloaded gives us Seasons.zip, which contains the folder Seasons, which contains the data folder and pack.mcmeta file. What I did was unzip the Seasons.zip, found data and pack.mcmeta, and then I zipped up the data and pack.mcmeta file together. Then, I renamed that .zip file to Seasons.zip.

If you want to see what I did to fix it, I can send you a video. I put up one of the logs that I have from when I found out how to get the Seasons datapack to work. Just search "Seasons.zip" within it to find what I mean about the pack.mcmeta. Also, don't worry about the Seasons-Modified_2.zip. I just renamed the ones I was working on to keep track of my changes and what worked or didn't.

Not only that, but if you want me to upload the Seasons.zip that I currently have, just ask. It's your property, anyway, and I'd hate to infringe on anyone's rights or be accused of stealing.

Anyways, I can finally get to enjoy your awesome datapack. Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

Le Codex

This is the best implementation of Seasons that I've seen so far. Is there a way to test each effect of each season?

aka. Can I see and test elements of the worst that winter has to offer by using commands or just by playing over time?

Keep up the great work. seriously loving this pack.
What do you mean exactly? I can tell you how to forcefully trigger certain events but triggering them outside of their intended time may cause some issues. Also, thank you for the feedback ^^

Hey. I was really looking forward to using Seasons in a survival world, but I can't seem to get the datapack working.

I put Seasons.zip within the datapack folder of my worlds, but the datapack just doesn't seem to exist when I get in the game. I don't see any indicators that Seasons is running on my HUD, and when I run /function seasons: options nothing comes up (The space is so that there isn't an emoji). Not only that, but other datapacks seem to work without any problems...
Hi, I think it'sno need to modify the structure like that. I personally like the way it is, since it allows people who do "Unzip here" not to have a bunch of files pop in their datapacks folder. Plus, it's quite common to see that with datapack downloads or map downloads. Thanks for the report but I'll keep the file structure as is ^^