I'm going back to this project with the 1.16 approaching. I plan to add new interactions with the different biomes that'll be added. For now however, this update will focus on tying loose ends. Again, thank you all for the really great feedback and overall response to this pack ^^
As said, this update will add some conventions for better compatibility:
New features were also added:
- Changed all the objectives for compatibility. The previous scores of temperature and wetness, as well as all other important variables will be transferred over.
- Added global.ignore tag to weather markers.
A few fixes and tweaks were made:
- Added calendars, that tell you how many days are left until the next season when placed in an item frame. Crafted like a map, with a clock instead of a compass.
- Added thermometers, that tell you precisely what temperature you're at. Crafted with 3 iron ingots, 1 gold ingots and 1 redstone dust like a compass, with the gold at the bottom.
- Added Advanced Options:
- They have a warning message since they affect core mechanics of the datapack and by so trump my original intention.
- They allow you to enable and disable the different functionnalities of the pack:
- Temperature (the entire feature and ambient heat in the Overworld, the Nether or the End)
- Weather effects
- Events individually
- If you do not see any changes, scroll down the chat.
- Fixed Temperature UI for multiplayer.
- Removed Heatwaves' smoke when you're on the ocean.
- Added click sound to options.
- Made rain less frequent in Autumn.
- Options will now automatically close (and the dayight cycle will be enabled) after 5 minutes, in case you forgot to click [Done]
A very small update, done quickly after some feedback from lattitude:
- Temperature and wetness don't affect the player anymore outside of Survival and Adventure game modes. As well, the UI does not show up for those players.
- Added an option to enable chat warnings for events and seasons' changes (defaults to false). Reminder: to access the option menu just run
/function seasons:optionsin the chat.
/function seasons:uninstallwhich deactivates the datapack, changes back the gamerules to vanilla values and removes all scoreboard objectives, in case you want to hard reset it or just remove it all together
In this update, all new features have been suggested to me by the really cool people on the Datapack Center Discord.
Here they are:
- Added the Spring Festival, where villagers celebrate with sales the end of Winter. Idea by Boomber.
- Animals now can become in love naturally during Spring. They can only do that once per Spring. Idea by Cavinator1.
- Added the Blood Moon, during which mobs become highered for one night. Idea by Linch.
- Added the End Incursion, where during one night, a lot of endermen will spawn on the Overworld surface. They will leave after that night. It won't happen during Spring. Idea by Hashs.
- Added sandstorms in the Desert during Summer, which gives blindness and slowness wile outdoors. Idea by Cavinator1.
Also, sorry Emma, but biome weather is not multiplayer-friendly and I want my pack to be like that.
- Added crops and composter to the non-layerable blocks.
- Reduced the rate of flower blooming.
- Transfered the savanna and its variants from lush to dry biomes.
I think I'm pretty much done here, I don't see this pack getting more important events and changes. Maybe it'll get tweaks and fixes in the future, but I think I'll move on to another vanilla-extending project ^^
A new event was introduced to Winter, the Winter Solstice:
List of changes:
- Always happen at the middle of Winter, starting at midnight.
- Makes it lasts for an entire day.
Other new features:
- Biome temperature is now affected by armor.
- Ice now spreads over the entirety of water, instead of just the shores.
- Increased the radius of ice melting outside of Winter.
- Ice now melts to its normal level oustide of Blizzards.
- Changed the yearLimit score (Summer/Year end) to be expressed in ticks instead of days.
- Added sugar_cane, stairs, slabs, fences, walls and cactus to the non-layerable blocks.
- Added a parameter (named weather multiplicator) to change how many times the weather marker should do his work (everything except particle effects).
- Defaults to 3, which means for example that snow will form and melt 3 times faster on average.
- Making the value 0 will not make the weather marker do nothing.
- Adding 1 adds on average 1-3 ms to the MSPT.
- Added an option menu to change the duration of seasons individually and the weather multiplicator.
- Time will be stopped for you to freely experiment. Re-enable it when you are done by clicking [Done].
- Accesssible with the
A new mechanic was added during Spring, the Fish Rain:
- Lasts one minute.
- Has a 0,1% chance to happen when rain starts.
- The fishes don't drop anything to prevent lag. (I tried to make them deal damage but to no avail)
- Increased the temperature change in biomes (now it counter-acts the ambient heat).
- Increased the amount of fake snow particles.
- Decreased the amount of fake snow particles added during a Blizzard.
- Dying of freezing now turns you into a Stray with the same armor and hand items. Dying of overheating turns you into a Husk in the same way.
- Changed the over-heating death line from "burnt to death" to "over-heated".
- Added snowy_beach and stone_shore to the lush biomes.
- Added the variants of air and vines to the non-layerable blocks.
- Fixed a bug where you would gain wetness while inside of a boat.
- Fixed a performance issue with ocean by de-activating the weather marker while on oceans, replacing it with a pseudo weather that only displays particle effects.
- Fixed custom death messages, they now appear alone and only if you actually die from freezing or overheating. (I turn off the showDeathMessages gamerule for the time of killing the player and displaying the message before re-activating it)
- Fixed temperature affecting you while dead.
- Fixed snow piling up during Blizzard.
As promised, here's finally the update that adds biome interaction.
All biomes have now two characteristics: temperature and humidity. The classification is based on the Wiki page on Biomes, with a few tweaks.
- Hot: Permanent small temperature increase (smaller than the ambient heat).
- Cold: Permanent small temperature decrease (smaller than the ambient heat). The snow and ice don't melt.
- Temperate: No temperature change.
This update also brings a few tweaks and fixes:
- Dry: Double natural drying in the open. No rain nor snow (and so, no gain of wetness).
- Humid: No natural drying in the open, even when it doesn't rain. No smoke during Heatwaves.
- Lush: No wetness change.
If need be, I will release a classification of all biomes on a chart.
- Fixed grass smoldering and flower blooming.
- Removed a particle effect that the weather marker produced, meant for debuging.
- Reverted the UI change.
- The temperature test for blocks and such is now triggered with the advancements.
- Added tall_seagrass to the non-layerable blocks, a tag that contains all the blocks on which the datapack won't place any snow.
I apologize for the amount of bugs that came with the 1.1 version. Here's a summary of everyhting that got fixed:
Here are a few new things as well:
- The temperature is now taken in account correctly.
- Leaves fall in Autumn and snow appears and water freeezes again in Winter.
- Death support is now correctly changed.
- Now, wearing any piece of golden armor reverses the ambient heat effect. It does not diminishes or increases it.
- A new achievement goal has been added, Situational Irony: Freeze to death in the Nether.
- The sensibility for the UI has been very minorly tweaked for it to proprerly show the default ambient temperature effect.
This update improves greatly the performance of this pack, thanks to 2 things:
For the record, the MSPT on a Default map has gone from above 50 to about 12-20.
- Long strings of /execute tests have been converted to function files, reducing the amount of tests the game has to process each tick.
- The temperature check for blocks and items now only is updated every second, as to every tick previously. The UI is still updated every .25 seconds.
Other miscellanious changes also come with this update:
I'm planning to get back on that project but this clean-up was extremely important before any new major content is added. Here's a list of everything I have curently in mind:
- Changed the temperature change "sensibility" from 0-30 (--), 32-176 (/\), 176+ (/\) to 0-100, 101-200 and 201+ respectively. (For reference, 10000 is 1°C, and those numbers are per tick)
- The temperature check for armors and ambient temperature is still done every tick.
- Dying from hypo or hyperthermia now leaves a custom death message (after the "Player withered away") and repsectively leaves an ice statue (2 blocks of ice) and a little fire behind.
Thank you for your patience for this project, and I hope I can finally bring al the things I promised
- Biome support
- More events like the Blizzard
- A hard-mode that'll add more interactions to make the world even harsher
A little change log of things that needed tweaking:
- Death support was added. Dying and respawning resets your temperature to 20°C and your wetness to 0%.
- You start a new world at 20°C instead of 0°C. This should also apply to newly joining players on servers.
- The Winter Strays and Summer Husks can now spawn with armor, whereas previously they could only spawn with hand items.
- The marker used for the custom block updates (snow layering, flower blooming and disappearing, grass smoldering...) is now an area effect cloud instead of an armor stand (slight help for performance).
- Snow can no longer layer on top of seagrass and kelp, as well as the three types of ice, and a ton of other blocks.
- The marker range has been increased from 30 blocks around the player to 64.
- Blizzard was added, where more snow falls and snow can start pilling up and has the same effect as rain.
- Snow now appears in a cross pattern, just to make it accumulate faster. Pilling up can only be done on one block though.